Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Webb's Response

I received a "canned" response from Senator Webb. I'm publishing it below. Later, I will publish my response to his response. I'd like to see where this goes, if anywhere. Here it is:
"Thank you for contacting me regarding health care reform. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views.

"As you know, addressing the health care crisis in our country is a top priority for me and my colleagues in Congress. There are 47 million Americans without health insurance and millions more who are underinsured. Health care costs currently consume more than $2 trillion per year and are estimated to reach over $4 trillion by 2017, jeopardizing family budgets and the long term financial stability of our system. Despite these huge expenditures, the United States ranks 42nd in the world in life expectancy, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and our health care system ranks lower than many countries on quality, access, efficiency, equity, and preventative care. We must improve the value and availability of care while addressing the increasing burden health care costs are placing on American families.

"With my support, the U.S. Senate passed legislation this year to expand the Children’s Health Insurance Program (H.R. 2). This important bill will ensure continued health insurance coverage for the 6.6 million children from low-income families currently enrolled in the program nationwide, and provide coverage for an additional 4.1 million uninsured children. In addition, I supported passage of the bipartisan American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (H.R. 1), which will help modernize our health system by providing funding for health information technology infrastructure and incentives to encourage doctors and hospitals to use electronic health records. These investments will help reduce costly medical errors and generate savings through improvements in the quality of care and care coordination.

"While these measures are helpful, there remains a critical need for comprehensive change that will advance the type of systemic health care reform that is essential to our nation and all Americans. I will continue to work with members from both sides of the aisle to achieve this objective. I believe that everyone in this country should have access to health insurance that is affordable, that provides adequate coverage, and that is always available. We can do this by producing better information regarding treatment, promoting health and preventing disease, and creating incentives so that all Americans can receive quality health care. We should also closely examine the role that health insurance companies play on the rising costs of health insurance in this country.

"As the Senate continues to debate health care reform, please be assured that your views will be very helpful to me and my staff. I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead.

I would also invite you to visit my website at www.webb.senate.gov for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation."

Sincerely,
Jim Webb
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment